Lights, Cameras, Action!
Film Making in the Classroom.
Media Arts and Yearbook Teacher
Upper Grand District School Board
We will watch the first 30s of the first film and the entire second film. Which film did you prefer and why?
Grade 12 Documentary
Grade 12 30s Film with the theme, “Out of Time”
Your students have access to a camera on their phones, class iPads, class Android devices or some other cameras.
Students have software on their phones or access to school computers with software to edit.
Some Suggested Software for Movie and Stop Motion Editing
Tablets, iPhone, iPad
Adobe Premiere Elements
Tips to Making Better Films.
1. Teach about good camera techniques and angles
– Keep camera or device as still as possible (tripod, lean device on a table, shoot from the ground)
– Use different camera angles
– First film assignment is short and they need to show they understand basic camera techniques
[Link to my grade 10 media arts class site, with first 20s assignment]
2. Be specific with how long the film will be
– My students usually don’t make films longer than 1 minute.
First film is 20s and their second film is 30s
Grade 12 student 30s films with the theme “Out of Time”
Grade 10 film 30s film with the theme “The Mission”
3. Spend time on Pre-Production
Students need time to brainstorm, see exemplars.